Blended Canvas is supported by its readers. Please assume all links are affiliate links. If you purchase something from one of our links we make a small commission from Amazon. Thank You!

Is Gouache Paint Toxic to Cats?

Sometimes we may leave out our painting supplies or even paint, and our pets get into it. It can be super scary to see paint on your fur baby. You may be wondering if they ate the paint, or just sniffed it and it got on their mouth.

So, is gouache paint toxic for cats? Gouache paints are generally non-toxic, so your cat should be fine. However, if they ingested a significant large amount, it never hurts to take them to the vet to make sure they are okay. Unless the label says “toxic” gouache paint are water based and not toxic.

In this article we go over everything you need to know about gouache paint being toxic for your cats, so let’s read on!

Are Gouache Paints Toxic to Pets?

Gouache paint is non-toxic and water based, so it won’t be toxic to pets if they ingest a small amount. It can be compared to watercolor paints, in that they are pretty harmless and even kid friendly. However, if your pet shows any signs of an upset stomach, vomiting or malice, I highly suggest taking them to the vet right away.

If your pet accidentally ingests a small amount of gouache paint or the water, you can watch them to make sure they aren’t throwing up or feeling unwell. Gouache paint doesn’t contain any toxins like oil paint or even some acrylic paints do, but you should still monitor your pet closely for the day.

My favorite and top pick is always Arteza Gouache Paints. They have so many different colors, and the quality is amazing! I usually use Arteza Paints for all my projects.

For special offers and discounts, with my link you can also go to the Arteza website and shop their amazing products.

If your pet didn’t ingest the paint, but only got it on their fur, they will be totally fine! Gouache paint is as toxic to pets as it is to humans, meaning it’s not toxic at all. You can simply wash off any paint your furry one got into with some warm water and pet shampoo.

Make sure to try and wash the paint off while it’s still wet, otherwise it may be harder to remove once it has dried. If there’s just too much paint and it already dried, you can always take them to the groomers and explain what happened. They will definitely be able to get all the paint off.

Are Gouache Paints Non-toxic?

Yes, gouache paints are generally non-toxic. However, that doesn’t mean that some won’t contain toxic chemicals. You must always read the label to be extra sure. If the label on the gouache paint tube says, “non-toxic” then that means they are 100% not toxic.

When reading the label, if you see formaldehyde, benzene, or xylene, the paint is toxic and needs to be used with care. 

Gouache paints are non-toxic because they are water based, which means they are made out of less chemicals. Oil paints on the other hand are very toxic, especially when mixed with mineral spirits and other paint thinners.

Abstract Painting

Check out my other article that talks about gouache paint being toxic here.

What Paints Are Toxic to Cats?

Oil paints are usually toxic to cats because of the chemicals they are made up of. Also, any paint with formaldehyde, benzene, or xylene are toxic, and will be toxic to your pets.

Watercolors, acrylics and gouache paint are non-toxic and your pet should be okay if they ingest a small amount of paint. They may have an upset stomach so make sure to give them plenty of water.

If you feel like they are not doing well, then I highly recommend taking them to the vet. It’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your pets.

Are Paint Fumes Toxic to Cats?

Oil paints and the solvents that it needs can definitely be toxic to cats. Turpentine and some mineral spirits emit fumes that tend to be pretty strong to humans. If you need to paint with oil paints, I recommend not having your cats or pets nearby. Pets have a strong sense of smell, so it can irritate their nose and possibly lungs.

Acrylic paints, tempera paint, gouache paints and watercolors aren’t toxic, and can be safely used around your cat. These paints don’t give off any fumes, and are great for doing cute paw paint projects with your furry ones. The only paint that will be extremely toxic to your cat is oil paint, and the solvents you need to use with it.

Outdoor paints such as latex, interior and spray paints can also be harmful to your cat if they ingest or inhale a large amount of it. Always have plenty of ventilation while painting, especially if you have pets nearby.

Can You Paint With Cats in the House?

Cats have sensitive respiratory systems, and strong toxic fumes can be dangerous for them. If you are painting with non-toxic paints such as acrylics, gouache or watercolor then you can safely paint with your cats and other pets inside the house.

When it comes to oil paints and other toxic paints, it’s not recommended having any pets near the paint or its fumes. Your cat may accidentally lick the paint out of curiosity, which can be very toxic to their system.

If you will be painting with oil paints, it’s recommended to have plenty of ventilation, and keep your cat away from the painting area until at least 48 hours.

What Do I Do if My Cat Steps in Paint?

Cats get into places they’re not supposed to all the time, and that includes paints. If you cat steps in paint, you can easily wash it off with some pet shampoo and warm water. It will be easier for the paint to come off if it’s still wet, but you can still get dried paint off a cat.

Acrylic paint, watercolors and gouache will be easier to remove from your cars paw and fur than oil paints. Oil paints are heavy and very oily, which can result in difficult cleaning.

Don’t add water to your cats paw if they stepped in oil paint, as it will cause. great mixture and will make the paint more difficult to wash off. If you are having a hard time getting any type of paint off your cats paw or fur, you can always take them to the vet or groomer, and they will be able to help.

Final Thoughts

Gouache paint is a non-toxic water based type of medium that shouldn’t be toxic to your cat. It’s mostly compared to acrylic paint or watercolors, which are also non-toxic. If you cat accidentally ingests a small amount of paint or paint water, make sure to watch them and check for any signs of vomiting or malice.

If large amounts of paint were ingested, you can always take them to the vet to make sure they are okay, and have a piece of mind. Remember to immediately wash off any paint on your cat’s fur, since removing it while it’s still wet will be much easier than when it dries!

Make sure to follow all my tips and recommended products to ensure your gouache painted project turns out great! Also, don’t forget to check out my other articles for all your painting Q&A’s. Happy painting!  

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

dickblick.com